Usually, the functioning of the journal is overseen by an Editorial Board, which consists of distinct and able researchers in the area who participate by encouraging cooperation and contributing proficient views on the appropriateness of submissions. The Editorial Board consists of the following significant positions.
The Editor-in-Chief is essentially liable for activities carried for the journal. It has the right to final approval or refusal of manuscripts.
An Associate Editor is a supervising editor who controls the processing of the manuscripts, which require soliciting manuscripts from possible contributors, evaluating the appropriateness of the manuscript associated with its scope, maintaining the peer-review method, devising policies for the promotion of the journal, correlating with the reviewers and board members, making judgments on the reviewed submissions and occasionally supporting the Editor-in-chief for final approval or refusal of the manuscripts.
Editorial Board Members:
The Editorial Board consists of a board of researchers with expertise in the appropriate area, appointed by the journal’s authorities for a defined 2-3 years of the term.
Editorial board members are required to:
- Carry out peer-reviewing of offered manuscripts
- Assess submissions based on the course and field of the journal
- Plan publication of special issues
- Attract new authors and submissions
- Furnish editorials for special issues raised under their Guest Editorship
- Support in recognising peer-reviewers proper to a unique topic and present another idea on papers in case of reviewer’s dispute
- Recommend relevant conferences for the editors to visit
- Assist in the publication of the journal amongst authors, scholars, and supporters and assist associates in submitting their best work
- Suggest qualified board members
- Bring out submitted manuscript peer-reviewing
- Submit/Solicit review/research manuscript to the journal
The Editorial Board must be geographically distinct, becoming members from various countries based on their area of expertise. However, the capacity of the board may vary from Journal to Journal.
The Editorial Board plays a vital role in the development of the journal, so members are chosen as per the following criteria:
- Geographical diversity
- Significance of expertise
- Must have a particular number of publications to their account
- Eminence as per their support in crucial research institutes
- Possible Candidates for Editorial Board Membership:
Guest editors, previous authors, or peer-reviewers who have worked for the journal or endorsed by other board members can be considered for Editorial Board.
On being invited to the editorial board, the potential candidates have furnished a brief description of their responsibilities and a clear statement that the position is voluntary with no remuneration.
A successful journal owes a lot to a skilled editorial board, which must accept the journal with commitment and confidence.